--On Monday, August 16, 2021 9:07 PM +0000 petteri.stenius(a)ubisecure.com
We have experienced a similar issue. Unfortunately we too have a
confidential dataset we cannot share.
Our dataset started slowing down at about 1.7m entries. With
slapcat/slapadd tools I can reliably reproduce the issue:
- first I add about 1.7m entries with slapadd to an empty mdb database
- I test with a search operation that returns a single entry and it
performs as expected, about 0.06s - next I add a single entry with slapadd
- after this the exactly same search operation that returns a single
entry slows down significantly, about 1.37s
With the new idlexp parameter set to for example value 17 this slow down
issue no longer happens with our dataset.
I don't understand idlexp parameter well enough. My fear is that idlexp
tuning is not actually fixing this issue, instead the issue is simply
If setting idlexp fixed it, then the issue was that one additional entry
caused the index to collapse to a range with the default idlexp value,
which is why changing the setting had an effect since it would stop it from
being a range at the higher idlexp value.
I added documentation as to what the idlexp command does to the admin guide
for OpenLDAP 2.5.6. You may want to read it, it applies to OpenLDAP 2.4 as
Packaged, certified, and supported LDAP solutions powered by OpenLDAP: