Full_Name: Sumith Narayanan
OS: MacOSX 10.4
Submission from: (NULL) (188.8.131.52)
My openLDAP DB is divided into 3 physical DBs, each of 4 GB , 12 GB and 26 GB
sizes , 42 GB total.
We were running with ldbm backend till 6-7 months back when the total size of
the DB was below 30 GB. It started crashing once in a while as the size started
We then changed the backend to Berkeley DB (Version:4.4.20) and the openLDAP
version 2.3.27. It is running in a 8 GB memory machine with 32 bit processing
and receives updates through an custom interface which binds to ldap and do the
update / inserts and deletes.
The rate at which the updates/inserts/deletes come is around 1-2 K / hr.
Now when I start the slapd process in loglevel 256 or 512 , it starts crashing
with in a few hours running out of memory. The maximum memory that 32 bit
processor can use is around 2 GB. It crashes after that. I was trying to tune
the DB_CONFIG :
DB_CONFIG settings for each DB :
For 26 GB DB.
set_cachesize 0 42428800 0
# Transaction Log settings
For 12GB DB
set_cachesize 0 15485760 0
for 4 GB DB
set_cachesize 0 10485760 0
Slapd.conf settings :
These parameters are set same for all the three DBs :
There is a replica also which gets updates from the master.
Now when I change the loglevel to 32 or 16 , the process lives longer ,
sometimes for a week or for more than a month.... However , as soon as I switch
back to old loglevel , it starts crashing. This is happening in both master and
Could you please advice whether there is a fix for this in the current version
or is it getting fixed in the coming version OR is it something that I can fix
by configuring. Logs are important for us as we need to know where the requests
are coming from. Also , the DB is accessed 250 K times in a day approximately.
Please let me know if I need to furnish any more details.