I finally found the solution to the problem. After I set the
LDAP_OPT_PROTOCOL_VERSION to v3 using ldap_set_option the resulting
characters were encoded in UTF-8. D'Oh! It seems that AD makes a
difference here when other servers assume v3 to be the standard.
I hope to be helping someone with a similar problem to avoid this confusion!
2011/11/25 Khaled Blah <khaled.blah(a)googlemail.com>:
Thanks for your reply, Michael!
I should have mentioned that I have tested this code with an OpenLDAP
server (2.4.23) and a Lotus Notes server (ver. 8) and both of them
return UTF-8 encoded data (like I expected it). The only difference
are the parameters which I use to start the query on these backends
(bind DN, filter, etc...).